Monday, April 14, 2014

Easy Homemade Chocolate (Soy & Dairy Free)

I love chocolate. For me, a bit of chocolate a day keeps the crazy at bay. Most store bought chocolate is full of junk and/or dairy, though. The junk I might be willing to overlook, but due to my nursing son's dairy sensitivity, I can't ignore the dairy. So, what's a girl to do? Why, come up with her own homemade chocolate, of course!

Easy Homemade Chocolate:

1/4c Honey (raw)
1/4c Melted Coconut Oil
1/4c Cocoa Powder
1/4tsp Vanilla (the real stuff, not imitation)

Combine all ingredients and mix.

That's it. Easy is almost an understatement, right? And this chocolate recipe isn't just easy, it's super versatile, too.

- Add a dash of cinnamon to the chocolate, dip banana slices in the mix and freeze for a cold treat.

- Try this Peppermint Pattie recipe from Meaningful Eats but replace the melted chocolate chip coating with my easy chocolate recipe.

- Keep the chocolate warm for "fondue." Serve with angel food cake chunks, strawberries, bananas, pretzel sticks, etc.

- Dip a crispy piece of bacon in the chocolate, let harden and enjoy. (If this is wrong, I don't want to be right.)

- Pour on ice cream for a healthier chocolate "shell" option.

- Make chocolate bars. Add in:
  • Shredded coconut and sliced almonds for a mock Almond Joy.
  • Pistachios and dried cherries or cranraisins.
  • Toasted walnuts or pecans.
      Mix in the add-ons, place in the fridge to harden, then cut into bars. Due to the coconut oil base these bars will melt at around 75 degrees Fahrenheit, so they are best stored in the fridge.

Mmmmm, mmmmm, delicious! I would share a picture of the chocolatey goodness, but I already ate all of the last batch I made. Maybe next time I make this I can restrain myself long enough for a picture or two ... Maybe. ;)

No comments: