Wednesday, September 10, 2014

All Natural 2 Ingredient Teething Cream

Let's talk about teething. It kinda sucks, right? Yeah, it totally does.

When my daughter was a baby and teething I remember giving her Tylenol every few hours around the clock for days. I don't even want to contemplate how many bottles of Infant Tylenol we went through before her first birthday. Then, when she was about 1, I started to see information on studies about a possible link between Acetaminophen and childhood asthma. All you have to do is hop on Google or Bing to do a search and in an instant you will find a bunch of articles like this one outlining the possible risks of this "safe" OTC drug.

It's scary to me to think of the possible risks and side effects of meds pediatricians recommend we give our children on a sometimes daily basis. I understand that all medicine, natural or otherwise, may pose a risk and must be taken appropriately and wisely. And make no mistake, if my child needed an OTC or prescription medicine I would certainly give it to them. Personally though, I've decided I'm not okay constantly dumping chemicals in my kid's bodies when there is a natural remedy that works just as well, or in some cases, even better. 

That's why, when my son started teething at 4 months*, I got busy experimenting and came up with my own recipe for all natural, homemade teething cream.


With just 2 ingredients this recipe is ridiculously easy and only takes a few minutes to make:

  • In a small container combine 2 tsp softened Organic Unrefined Coconut Oil and 4 drops Thieves Essential Oil. Mix well.
  • Store in refrigerator and apply as needed to gums for teething pain.

Added bonus, going all natural and chemical free is actually cheaper in this case. As for the cost break down, Thieves oil is $33.75 (wholesale cost) for a 15ml bottle that contains approximately 250 drops, so 4 drops is about $0.54. The cost of coconut oil will vary depending on where you buy and what brand, but on average a tsp will cost around $0.10. With those prices, the recipes only costs $0.74 and lasts me 2 months on average. I call that winning! :)

*Please note that Young Living does not recommend using Essential Oils on children under 6 months. Using them earlier was a personal decision. 

No comments: